Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Upgrading side by side in Gentoo

Andrus wrote:
I have separate production server running

"PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC i686-pc-linux-gnu-gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 (Gentoo 3.4.6-r1, ssp-3.4.5-1.0, pie-8.7.9)"

This is a bad idea. I run Gentoo at home on a workstation, and I like the approach it uses. But it is really targeted to the individual user who likes to be on the bleeding edge. *Everything* on Gentoo is compiled from source; that's the whole point of the distribution. This is not what you want in a production platform in a business environment.

You should be looking at a distribution that has a support package (even if you elect not to use it), a minimum number of years that each version will be supported, and a predictable maintenance schedule. You have many to choose from: Redhat and its free derivatives like CentOS, Ubuntu with its supported releases, etc.

To answer your question directly, you won't find a prepackaged solution to running simultaneous version of PG (or any other software package) on Gentoo. That's not how Gentoo is designed to be used. Having said that, I remember reading about slots, which may allow what you are trying to do. But I've never investigated.

--
Guy Rouillier