Search Postgresql Archives

Re: INSERT .... RETURNING

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Rafal Pietrak <rafal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> One comment I'd like to make as total lamer on the subject, is that the
> assumption on SELECT (that it's not firing triggers), could potentially
> be resolved by a *global* or "database" configuration option - once
> selected, the SQL programmers' responsibility would be: not to assume
> that on SELECT at the application layer.

I think Tom meant that PostgreSQL's code assumes that select fires no triggers.
Hence, triggers (and probably constraints) wouldn't fire if you did a
select (insert ... returning).
So your setting would basically mean "make triggers fire some of the
time, and I don't
care about data consistency either". I doubt any sane person would
activate it ;)