Search Postgresql Archives

Re: temporary memory configuration

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:> hey folks,>> so suppose I have a query that in explain analyze>> Sort Method: external merge Disk: 218080kB>> What param should I set to high up, to end up with that sort in memory, and
work_mem
> also - will that memory will always be allocated per connection,
It is allocated PER SORT, up to the amount needed.  Note that you canset work_mem for a given connection to override the default setting,so you don't have to set workmem to 256M for everybody, but just thisone operation.  You can also set default work_mem per user and perdatabase.
> (I am bit> worried that having say 320MB of temporary memory space per connection will> reduce number of possible connections). The query is not run quite often,> but it would be nice to see it running faster, as it is a report type of> query - and these ppl are usualy very unpatient. Currently it runs around> 1-2 minutes with 1-6M rows to process join etc across 2-3 tables.
Definitely look at setting it in this connection at run time then.