Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Debugging infrequent pegged out CPU usage

Jason Long wrote:
Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:25 PM, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 11:30 AM, Jason Long
<mailing.list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am running PostgreSQL 8.3.4 on Centos 5.2 with a single Xeon 5472, 1600
MHz, 12 MB cache, 3.0 GHz quad core, and 4 GB RAM.

My database is only about 50 MB and there are only about 20 users.

For some reason Postgres is pegging my CPU and I can barely log on to reboot
the machine.  After reboot all is well for another week or so, but this
brings the system to a grinding halt.

What is the best way to debug this?
Can I limit Postgres to a certain number of cores or set the timeout on the
queries to a lower value?
How about preventing this lockup by limiting CPU resources to Postgres or giving up if a query takes too long? I am barely able to log in let alone poke around.

You can't limit cpu usage but you can set timeouts.

See statement_timeout here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config.html

Set up your logging.

Even if you do have to reboot, you can at least go back through the logs to find out what happened just before the reboot.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/