Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?

Tom Lane wrote:

Wire protocol compression support in PostgreSQL would probably still be
extremely useful for Internet or WAN based clients, though,

Use an ssh tunnel ... get compression *and* encryption, which you surely
should want on a WAN link.

An ssh tunnel, while very useful, is only suitable for more capable users and is far from transparent. It requires an additional setup step before connection to the database that's going to cause support problems and confuse users. It's also somewhat painful on Windows machines. Additionally, use of an SSH tunnel makes recovery after a connection is broken much, MUCH more difficult for an application to handle transparently automatically.

As you know, PostgreSQL supports SSL/TLS for encryption of wire communications, and you can use client certificates as an additional layer of authentication much as you can use an ssh key. It's clean and to the end user it's basically transparent. All the major clients, like the ODBC and JDBC drivers, already support it. Adding optional compression within that would be wonderful - and since the client and server are already designed to communicate through filters (for encryption) it shouldn't be that hard to stack another filter layer on top.

It's something I'm going to have to look at myself, actually, though I have some work on the qemu LSI SCSI driver that I *really* have to finish first.

--
Craig Ringer