Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?

2008/10/29 小波 顾 <guxiaobo1982@xxxxxxxxxxx>
1. Little integers of types take 8 bytes in the past now only take 4 or 2 bytes if there are not so large.
So what actually happen if I have a table with few mills of values that fit in 2 bytes, but all of the sudent I am going to add another column with something that requires 8 bytes ? update on all columns ? I am actually even against varchars in my databases, so something like that sounds at least creepy.

--
GJ