Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Decreasing WAL size effects

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008, Jason Long wrote:

I also have to ship them off site using a T1 so setting the time to automatically switch files will just waste bandwidth if they are still going to be 16 MB anyway.

The best way to handle this is to clear the unused portion of the WAL file and then compress it before sending over the link. There is a utility named pg_clearxlogtail available at http://www.2ndquadrant.com/replication.htm that handles the first part of that you may find useful here.

This reminds me yet again that pg_clearxlogtail should probably get added to the next commitfest for inclusion into 8.4; it's really essential for a WAN-based PITR setup and it would be nice to include it with the distribution.

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD