Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgresql and Mac OS X

On Oct 28, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Tom Allison wrote:

Relatively simple question that I hope doesn't start too much "Flame".

I have recently had the opportunity to reformat my macbook hard drive, many thanks to suggestions from the actual Apple support team. That's not why I'm writing to the postgres group... But it's related.

I have a fresh slate from which to build my development platform!!

I can get postgresql installed in three flavors:
EnterpriseDB has a dmg package for Mac.
macports has their own package.
fink also has their own package.

There's also http://www.postgresqlformac.com/ and I think one or two others.

I was using macports but got into a cluster-F on versions and multiple installs. After a spell I had all four versions 8.0 - 8.3 installed in order to use postgres, ruby, perl, and rails together.

I'm interesting in knowing if this can be avoided by selecting one of the alternative sources of installation. Any experiences with differences in installation and long term management from these sources?

I'm more accustomed to using Linux for PostgreSQL, but in this situation Linux probably won't be my development arena but test/ prod. In the Linux environment I've had great success in getting migrations, upgrades, and languages to play well with PostgreSQL without the multi version issue.

I usually install postgresql from source on my macbook. I'm using it for development, rather than production, so I don't have it starting automatically via launchd, just start it with pg_ctl manually when I need it.

Installing from source means I can avoid the fragility of macports or fink, and know that I've built it in much the same way as the postgresql or solaris installation I'd be using for production.

I didn't know about the EnterpriseDB dmg, though. I'll take a look at that.

Cheers,
  Steve