Search Postgresql Archives

Re: again...

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ati Rosselet" <ati.rosselet@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 25, 2008 12:04 PM
Subject: Re:  again...

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Ati Rosselet <ati.rosselet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm still getting a lot of these entries in my eventlog whenever I have a
reasonably large amount of logging:

Event Type:    Error
Event Source:    PostgreSQL
Event Category:    None
Event ID:    0
Date:        10/22/2008
Time:        9:36:28 AM
User:        N/A
Computer:    ----------
could not write to log file: Bad file descriptor

production server 8.3.3 (tried with 8.3.4 - same thing), win 2003 server.
I'd send this to psql-bugs, but I can't figure out how to reproduce it.. and apparently noone else has seen this? Or is noone else running postgres on
win2003??? (survey says??)

The timing of each appears to be when log is rolled over (size limited to
10MB) and postgres attempts to write a log entry at the same time:

Any ideas? help? How to proceed???

Maybe you've got a virus scanner that's locking your log files on you?

Hi Ati,

Inconsistent misbehavior is always fun ;). You may need to increase the probability that the misbehavior shows itself. I'd change the 10 MB limit to 1MB and document your findings. Additionally, you may take the size limit out of the picture and lower the time limit to something ridiculously low. (120 minutes?)

Just a suggestion... Good luck!

Jeff