Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question about NOT NULL and default values.

Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:06 PM, Stephan Szabo
<sszabo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 16 Oct 2008, Scott Marlowe wrote:

On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 10:01 PM, Stephan Szabo
<sszabo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, Tim Uckun wrote:

Is there a way to change this behavior so that an attempt to set the
column to NULL will result in the default value being put in the
field?
I don't think so specifically with default, but you could use a before
trigger instead that would put in a value in the new row if NULL was
given.
I'm pretty sure that will fail as the primary key or not null
constraint comes first.
Well, since he said that he'd removed the not null constraint in his
testing, I figured that was a viable option.

Yeah, then it might.   But I get the feeling the OP just wasn't
assigning a sequence as a defult.

I don't think the OP wants this column to have a sequence. It looked to me that he wants it to default to zero. I think the confusion was caused by a comment about MySQL's autoincrement handling.

It seems to me that the problem lies with postgres-pr and the best thing to do until that's fixed would be to use a trigger, as someone else suggested.