Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Question about fulltext search and to_tsvector function

Hi guys -

I half figured this out.. The problem is the vector is concatenating the fields together.. If I have a title of "Iced Lemon Cake" and the description is "Tangy and sweet!", then the tsvector looks like this:

"'ice':1 'lemon':2 'sweet':5 'caketangi':3"

"Cake" and "Tangy" get parsed as "caketangi" heheh..

So my questions are:

1) What's the proper syntax for this query, and
2) What's the proper syntax to index the vector (I can probably figured this out once I have the first answer)..

Thanks!!

Mike

Mike Christensen wrote:
Okay this one's driving me crazy.

Should there be any difference between the following queries:

SELECT R.Title FROM Recipes R
WHERE (to_tsvector('english', title || description) @@ plainto_tsquery('Cake'));

and

SELECT R.Title FROM Recipes R
WHERE (to_tsvector('english', description || title) @@ plainto_tsquery('Cake'));

This query should search for the word 'Cake' in either the description OR the title field, correct? The order should not matter. However, in the first query I get 6 results and in the second I get 9.

Furthermore, if I do:

SELECT R.Title FROM Recipes R
WHERE (to_tsvector('english', title) @@ plainto_tsquery('Cake'));

I get 10 results and if I do:

SELECT R.Title FROM Recipes R
WHERE (to_tsvector('english', title || coalesce(description, '')) @@ plainto_tsquery('Cake'));

I get 7 results. Shouldn't the first query result in a subset of the second query? The first query returns several rows the second one doesn't return, and vice-versa! This function is completely confusing me!!

I would greatly appreciate anyone who could explain exactly how this works. It's most likely something stupid I'm doing that is the result of me not getting enough sleep..

Mike