Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Problems with Timezones in Australia

Tom Lane wrote:
"Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders@xxxxxxx> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
No, you're behind the times: 8.2.4 and 8.1.9 are too old to know
about this year's changes in southeast Australia DST laws.  Which
I imagine is what's biting you.

Doesn't Pg use tzdata (at least that's what it's called on for Redhat-ian distributions) for it's timezone information?

Yes.  tzdata didn't know about those changes back then, either ;-)

If you meant to say "why aren't we using the system's copy of
tzdata", it's because we need to run on systems that don't have one.

No criticism intended. Just trying to understand and find out if I needed to make changes in my update procedures.

If you are on a platform that uses the standard "Olsen" tz database
and you have confidence that it will get updated regularly, you can
configure PG to use that copy instead of its built-in copy ... but
this isn't the default.

CentOS 5 -- three, four, or maybe more, updates this year so far.  :-)

Is there a way to determine from a binary install (Devrim GÜNDÜZ's rpms) if it uses the system timezone data or the build-in copy? Heck I'll just look at the src rpm.

Thanks,
Rod