Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Chart of Accounts

If you want to take a particular system out to extra digits, it's
probably good to record the rounding error as a separate component of
the transaction (that is, if you want everything to balance out
perfectly).

I think you have two different problems here. On the one hand you have rounding errors which are material when aggregated on the other hand most sales transactions (for example) will come to a dollar and cents figure. If you have two accounts with different precision then I think from an accounting perspective you need to say something like this when posting between the two:

DR   My 2 Decimal Precision Account              2.00
DR   Accumulated Rounding (4 Decimal)          0.0010
   CR                Original 4 Decimal Account                     2.0010

Then at period end you can including your rounding account and everything will balance.

Craig