Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Standalone Windows Installation

Okay, that's a misunderstanding.
I don't want to build it from the sources. I want to take the official pre-built "postgres without installer" package and put it on a Windows machine to make it work. That doesn't work (while it should IMHO) because of the dependencies. So I just want to add some manifest/folders/dlls to make it work with the standard binaries. I hope it would be possible as I don't want to rebuild all on each postgres update.

Jörn

Ashesh D Vashi schrieb:
Jörn Heid wrote:
Thanks Ashesh for your answer.

I will try to do so although I first have to install VC (or can I just use the directories from WinSxS?). Is there another possibility without setting an environment variable? Think of the simplest distribution of just copying files (e.g. to a USB stick) and "pg_ctrl.exe start" will work out of the box...
I thought - you have built the binaries from sources. So, I was talking about VC installation. My solution should work perfectly, when you have built the binaries from sources using Visual Studio. Redistribution (copying) of these binaries should work anywhere. (You may need to add dependent dll(s) in the distribution package. i.e. ssl, krb5)

Regards,
Ashesh

Cheers,
Jörn

Ashesh D Vashi schrieb:
Jörn Heid wrote:
Hi.

I want to use Postgres without installation. The problem is the dependencies on the Visual C dll (msvcrt). As far as I know it would be possible to include a manifest file (only for libpq.dll?) and bundle the dlls from c:\windows\WinSxS into the bin directory of Postgres.
Is this correct? Does anybody have (tested) such a manifest file?

Jörn
You just need to copy the contents of the redist/x86 under the %VCINSTALLDIR% in your distribution directory, where all dlls/executables are present. VCINSTALLDIR should be similar to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC, depending on your Visual Studio Installation.
This directory contains:
* Microsoft.VCxx.CRT
* Microsoft.VCxx.ATL
..., etc

No need to copy the c:\windows\WinSxS contents.

Hope this should solve your problem.

Regards,
Ashesh

--
Dipl.-Inform. Med. Jörn Heid

Zentrum für virtuelle Patienten / Centre for Virtual Patients
Universitätsklinikum Heidelberg
Hygiene-Institut
Im Neuenheimer Feld 324
69120 Heidelberg