Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Index order

> > I have a table with a varchar field "artist"
> (see table def below),
> and if I order by the field "artist" it does not
> order as expected when
> there are characters such as ^ at the start of the text.
>
> You didn't say what you consider "expected",
> but I suspect that the
> answer is you want to use a different locale setting ...
> probably C.
> Unfortunately there's currently no way to change that
> short of initdb.

Sorry. I expected the index to order A-Z with anything starting with the carret (or other characters) being either at the end or at the start, not in the middle.  I know it's naive, but for some reason I expected the index would order any text in alphabetical order e.g. AA,AB,AC,ZA,ZZ,^A,^Z ...etc

I guess if the only soloution is initdb and a different locale, I'll have to find a workaround elsewhere.  The client applications that rely on this are a pile of junk anyway.