Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Statement level trigger clarification

Chris Velevitch wrote:
I'm new to triggers and I'm having difficulty in understanding how
statement level triggers on before updates work.

I have a function that sets new.last_modified := current_timestamp;

If I were to define a trigger as:-

CREATE TRIGGER my_trigger
  BEFORE INSERT OR UPDATE
  ON my_table
  FOR EACH STATEMENT
  EXECUTE PROCEDURE my_function();

and my update statement were to update more than one row, would I be
correct in understanding that every row the update statement touches
will have the exact same value for last_modified?

No, this is not going to work at all. NEW and OLD are not available in statement triggers. So your function will fail.