Search Postgresql Archives

Re: 64-bit Compile Failure on Solaris 10 with OpenSSL

Randal T. Rioux napsal(a):
On Tue, September 9, 2008 5:25 am, Zdenek Kotala wrote:
Randal T. Rioux napsal(a):
I've battled this for a while. I'm finally breaking down and asking for
help.

If you're answer to this is "why 64-bit" then don't answer. You wouldn't
understand. Same if you say "why don't you use packages."

Here is my scenerio:

 - Sun 420R x450Mhz UltraSPARC-II / 4GB RAM
 - Solaris 10 05/08
 - OpenSSL 0.9.8h
 - PostgreSQL 8.3.3
 - GCC 3.4.6
 - GNU Make 3.81
Three questions (yeah, you forbided ask, but ...)

grumble grumble grumble...

1) Why 64

64bit code on SPARC is slower, because SPARC uses 4byte instructions and
processing 64bit data needs more instructions. It is good only if you
need more then 4GB share memory. When you use sunstudio compiler with
best optimization 64bit application has 1%-5% performance degradation.

A. Many databases use more than 4GB share memory.

Of course but you mention that you have only 4GB RAM.

B. Re: SunStudio - that's why I'm using GCC.

I don't understand you there. Sunstudio generates better code on SPARC and it is faster than code produced with GCC.

2) Why you don't use package

You can use Solaris'es packages, which are integrated and optimized for
Solaris.

Which are bloated with stuff I don't need and missing stuff I do. Not to
mention terribly outdated.

Could you be more specific? If is there something what you missing or what is wrong in Solaris'es packages let me know. Maybe I can improve it.

3)  Why you don't use build-in libssl?

Integrated libssl is not only copy of original open ssl. It has lot of
improvements and it uses crypto hardware accelerator if you have it (for
example Niagara 2).

But it is 32-bit.

No, You have 64bit version in /usr/sfw/lib/64.

		Zdenek