Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Fwd: Restarting with pg_ctl, users, and passwords.

From: "Matthew Pettis" <matthew.pettis@xxxxxxxxx>
> SOLVED.
>
> Yep, Restart was done.
>
> The issue turned out not to be with Postgresql config, but the app
> config.  In the app, I define a connection string, which has user,
> password, and databasename.  When I had this same configuration on
> WinXP, I did not need to specify a fourth parameter, the host, which
> explicitly told the app to use host=localhost.  When I added the host
> param to the connection string, it all went through.
>
> On the bright side, I learned a lot about how to restart the service
> and the config files...
>
> Curious: Any ideas why I can leave the host off my connection string
> in WinXP, but not Linux?  It it an idiosyncracy of my app, or of
> PostgreSQL?
>
> Thanks for all the help,
> Matt

Is the Linux app running on the Postgres server machine?
If so I hazard a guess that you have a line like:

local   all         all                               trust

before your host line in pg_hba.

The app connecting from the same machine would try the local socket (local) before the localhost(tcp/ip), unless localhost was specified in the connection string.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@xxxxxxxxxxx