Search Postgresql Archives

function SETOF return type with variable columns?

Greetings,

Is it possible to have a function with a return type of SETOF that has variable number of return columns?

The input parameter for this function will be a String containing a number of codes separated by a tilde character. I would like to have 1 output column for each of these codes, but the number of input codes may change for each time the function is called.

For example:

Input:  ABC1~XYZ2~MNO3

Output result set will then look like this where name, ABC1, XYZ2, and MNO3 are column headers and not a data row:

name | ABC1 | XYZ2 | MNO3
bob | 9 | 3 | 1
john | 5 | 2 | 1

Every row in the output set will contain a name and then a count of the number of codes matched for that name. But the codes queried for would change with each call of the function.
Does it make sense what I am asking for?

Thanks in advance,
James