Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [Q] DNS(bind) ER model

David Goodenough wrote:
On Friday 15 August 2008, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
Anyone aware of an ER model for holding name server records?

Working on the zone file data and I am getting close but keep running
into the differences between MX records (with a priority) and the others
that can hold either a domain/sub-domain/host name or an IP address
depending on whether is an A, TXT, PTR, etc. or a CNAME.

Much of the database will be populated and changed automagically so the
controller for the application will do the right thing but humans will
get involved every so often.  I hope I can get the database to make the
right thing easy and the wrong thing "impossible" for them.

Any suggestions?

Rod
--

Have you looked at mydns? It is a database driven DNS server - and it works just fine with Postgresql.

David,

I believe I looked at mydns, and there was a sqldns also, quite awhile ago thinking to use that model as a starting point but the project got side-lined so I never followed up. The project is back on so I'll look again.

Thanks,
Rod
--

David