Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Confronting the maximum column limitation

On Aug 12, 2008, at 1:15 PM, Jeff Gentry wrote:

Hi there ...

I recently discovered that there is a hard cap on the # of columns, being at 1600. I also understand that it is generally unfathomable that anyone would ever feel limited by that number ... however I've managed to bump
into it myself and was looking to see if anyone had advice on how to
manage the situation.

As a bit of background, we have a Postgres database to manage information
revolving around genomic datasets, including the dataset itself.  The
actual data is treated in other applications as a matrix, and while it has caused the DB design to be sub-optimal the model worked to just stash the
entire matrix in the DB (the rest of the DB design is proper, but the
storage of these matrices straight up is unorthodox ... for the
convenience of having everything in the same storage unit with all of the
other information, it has been worth the extra headache and potential
performance dings).

What operations do you perform on the data? If it's just store and
retrieve, can you serialize them into a bytea (or xml) field?

Cheers,
  Steve