Search Postgresql Archives

Re: automatic REINDEX-ing

Tom Lane wrote:
Joao Ferreira gmail <joao.miguel.c.ferreira@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
I executed REINDEX by hand and the disk ocupation imediatelly dropped 6
Giga...!!!

is there a way to configure postgres to automatically execute the needed
REINDEXING (on indexes and tables) for a given database....

Generally speaking, there shouldn't be a need for "automatic
reindexing".  What the above suggests is that you need more aggressive
routine vacuuming, so that you don't get into this situation in the
first place.

BTW, "more aggressive routine vacuuming" does NOT mean "use vacuum full".
Vacuum full tends to make index bloat worse, not better.

			regards, tom lane

So now that we know what that term does not mean, what does it mean? Just doing it more often by adjusting the autovacuum parameters?