Search Postgresql Archives

Re: replication only

On Tue, August 5, 2008 9:21 am, Jef Peeraer wrote:

> i read about the replication possibilities with postgresql. If i just need
> some replication ( without failover stuff ) to 1 standby server, what
> would be the best option to go with. Slony i presume, although schema
> chanages are not propagated.

Skytools (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/skytools/) has a considerably
lower learning curve compared to Slony.  Nothing wrong with Slony, but
recovering from replication problems with skytools is far easier, and it's
just much simpler to use -- not as flexible and as powerful as Slony, but
if all you need to do is replicate some tables with minimum fuss and
without having to learn a new language, then Skytools (based on my
personal experience with a cluster and Slony versus Skytools) is my
recommendation.

Regards
Henry