Search Postgresql Archives

Easy way to alias all columns in a table by adding a prefix or suffix?

All,

I have 2 tables with a lot of columns with similar names. I'd like to join both tables and include all columns from each without naming collisions. I can use the 'AS' to rename a single column, but is there a way to do the rename in bulk by just appending a prefix or suffix to the column names from each respective table?

I want to do something like this:

  SELECT a.* AS prefix1_*, b.* AS prefix2_*
  FROM a, b
  WHERE a.id = b.id
  AND a.id = 123;

The result would be to select all columns from "a" but rename each to have "prefix1_" appended to the front.

  a.id -> prefix1_id
  b.id -> prefix2_id
  a.xpos -> prefix1_xpos
  b.xpos -> prefix2_xpos
  a.ypos -> prefix1_ypos
  b.ypos -> prefix2_ypos

etc...

Does this request make sense? Does something like this exist? I don't really NEED to have this, I'm just trying to be lazy.

-- Dante