Search Postgresql Archives

Re: mac install question

On 23 Jul 2008, at 21:47, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

dpage@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Thanks for the log. It shows that the otool utility couldn't be found
(which should be a fatal error but that's another issue.

Is the otool program on your system anywhere? Afaik, it should be on
any Mac, but maybe it's part of xcode (i hope not- can anyone
confirm?)

Looks like you lose. I'm not sure where to look for definitive package contents on Macs, but the file timestamp on /usr/bin/otool shows it was built at the same time as ar, as, gcc, gprof, size, RezWack, and a bunch
of other /usr/bin programs that look like they'd only come as part of
xcode not in the base install.

What are you using it for that you need it to be present at install
time?

The linker hardcodes library paths into exes and libs. We examine these paths at install time using otool and rewrite them from the staging paths on the build machine to whatever directory the user chose to install to using install_name_tool(1).

The other option would be to rewrite the paths to be relative at build time I guess.

/D