Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Problems Restarting PostgreSQL Daemon

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

If you're certain there's no postmaster running, it's safe to remove
postmaster.pid. However you really shouldn't have to; the postmaster is
generally able to figure out whether a pidfile is live or not.

Tom,

  I thought the postmaster knew what was current and what needed to be
replaced, but the process ID in the pidfile did not exist.

The "invalid data" bit is interesting though.  It looks like pg_ctl would
produce that error if the pidfile exists but is empty when it looks.  This
seems like a race condition hazard, though the odds of hitting it are
tiny.  What's in the file exactly?

  I deleted the .pid, but still could not get the postmaster running. Then I
'touched' the name so I had an empty file. Made no difference. While pg_ctl
tells me the server is starting, there is no /tmp/.s.PGSQL*, no pidfile, and
no postmaster process.

  In the past I've managed to start the postmaster daemon manually, but
today I seem to have it FUBARed.

Rich