Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Cause of error message?

Bayless Kirtley wrote:
An old app is giving a new error message. I query a table and make one update. Later I come back to query the table again and get this error: ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block The error only occurs after I have made an update. As long as no updates, I can query multiple times. Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of actions or errors usually cause this error?
It means that you have an open transaction and the statement before you get this message failed.
e.g.
postgres=# begin;
BEGIN
postgres=# update bob set abc=1;
ERROR:  relation "bob" does not exist
postgres=# select version();
ERROR: current transaction is aborted, commands ignored until end of transaction block
postgres=#

You need to find which statement failed first and fix it or rollback and have your app deal with the failure. The postgres log is a good place to start looking.

klint.

--
Klint Gore
Database Manager