Search Postgresql Archives

Re: redundants indexes can be created

hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
On Fri, Jul 04, 2008 at 11:54:37AM +0200, Cyril SCETBON wrote:
Why postgres does not disallow creating redundants indexes ? Is it the
same behaviour in postgresql 8.3 ?

Why should it? Redundant indexes are not "bugs". And can be very useful
sometimes (thing concurrent reindexing).
in this case your right, but lot of people are confused with primary key and unique key. So they create a unique key on the same column that constitute the primary key. For example, Oracle inhib it :

SQL> create table toto(id int primary key);

Table created.

SQL> create unique index idx_toto_id on toto(id);
create unique index idx_toto_id on toto(id)
                                       *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01408: such column list already indexed

concurrent reindexing is the matter of postgresql, it should create it transparently when needed. And if I take into account the concurrent reindexing, why permitting more than 2 index on the same column ?

--
Cyril SCETBON