Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Delete from Join

--- On Wed, 7/2/08, Gwyneth Morrison <postgres@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Gwyneth Morrison <postgres@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [GENERAL] Delete from Join
> To: pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 3:15 PM
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to use a join keyword in a delete?
>
> For example:
>
>      DELETE FROM data_table1
>                 using data_table2 INNER JOIN
>                         data_table1  ON data_table1.fkey =
> data_table2.pkey;
>

> It is not directly mentioned in the delete syntax but the
> delete refers
> to the select clause where JOIN is valid.

>i have a example

>delete from t1 a using t2 b where a.id = b.oid

>A standard way to do it is

>delete from t1 a where id in (select a.id from t1 a inner join t2 b on (a.id = b.oid))

 Thank you for your reply,

 You are absolutely correct, it IS the standard way.

What I am actually trying to do here is write a program to convert MS SQL to Postgres.
I have had quite a bit of success so far, but this is a sticking point.

Apparently using the JOIN keyword directly in a delete statement is valid in MS.
I am trying to determine if it is valid in postgres which I figure it is not but cannot
find it exactly in the documentation.

So I guess the real question is, can the JOIN keyword be used directly in a delete as above.