Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Probably been asked a hundred times before.

On Tuesday 24 June 2008 11:30:14 David Siebert wrote:

> Which disto is best for running a Postgres server?

> I just installed OpenSuse and downloaded and compiled the latest version

> of Postgres. It isn't that big of a hassle but I noticed that almost

> none of the big distros keep all that up to date with Postgres as far as

> what they have in their repositories.

> I was wondering if anybody has made an Postgres centric distro? Just a

> nice stripped down server Distro that is ideal for running a database

> server on?

> More just curious since I already got mine installed and compiled.

I'm running OpenSuSE 11.0 and I have PostgreSQL 8.3.1 right from the installation DVD.

I know it isn't 8.3.3, but they couldn't package and test everything until the release date.

There are packagers for Fedora here... But I would rather compile PG myself than switch to Fedora just because of a PostgreSQL package.

Generating new RPMs / updating existing ones isn't so hard.

--

Jorge Godoy <jgodoy@xxxxxxxxx>