Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Losing data

Garry Saddington wrote:
On Thursday 19 June 2008 18:15, Alan Hodgson wrote:
On Thursday 19 June 2008, Garry Saddington <garry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

wrote:
I read in a
Postgres manual that the hard disk may report to the OS that a write has
occured when it actually has not, is this possible?
Yeah. But unless the power suddenly turned off that wouldn't cause data
loss.

Oh, and the problem
has been intermittant. Another thing that happened this morning is that
Postgres had today as 18/06/2008 when in fact it was 19/06/2008 and the
OS reported this correctly. Restarting postgres sorted it, could this be
the problem?
I strongly suspect the problem is between the keyboard and the chair.
I'd love to agree, but I have seen this first hand as a user!
In any case, however, if PostgreSQL reported the transaction complete and
the machine didn't experience any hardware problems (like sudden power or
disk failure), I would certainly not suspect PostgreSQL as the source of
the problem.
What has happened to the reports then? I have used this combination of Zope and Postgres for 5 years with no problems like this before and we have written one complete set of reports on this server in the past 6 weeks. The problem seems to have started last friday, when reports started to go missing.

What has changed prior to Friday?

--
Until later, Geoffrey

 - Benjamin Franklin