Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Database design: Backwards-compatible field addition

>> Problem with this is that some RDBMS (Postgresql specifically) don't
>> let you run update statements on views.
>
> Given 1) the view will be "fairly uncomplicated" and hence
> "fairly straightforward" ON INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE rule can
> likely be added to it allowing for an apparently writable
> view.

Thanks for the info.

I had the mistaken idea that rules and triggers were only for real
tables & not views (I've never used them before).

I would like to avoid using them if possible (extra complexity, and
don't want to rename tables & make new views each time I need to make
backwards-incompatible app updates), but they are there if I need
them.

David.