Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Database design: Storing app defaults

David wrote:
Hi list.

If you have a table like this:

table1
 - id
 - field1
 - field2
 - field3

table2
 - id
 - table1_id
 - field1
 - field2
 - field3

table1 & table2 are setup as 1-to-many.

If I want to start providing user-customizable defaults to the
database (ie, we don't want apps to update database schema), is it ok
database design to add a table2 record, with a NULL table1_id field?

Yes - Foreign key constraints will ensure that a value in table1_id exists in table1 - it does allow null vales unless you specify that column as NOT NULL or UNIQUE

This looks messy however. Is there a better way to do it?

Sounds back to front to me. table1 would be defaults with table2 user defined overrides (I'd also add a user_id column)

A few other ways I can think of:

1) Have an extra table1 record (with string fields containing
'DEFAULT'), against which the extra table2 record is linked.

Create a view returning default values when the column is null?

Which is the cleanest way? Is there another method I should use instead?

I would think that the app defines default behaviour which it uses if no values are stored in the db. The db only holds non-default options.

I would think that one table is sufficient for the scenario you describe.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz