Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pgAdmin complains about vacuuming required after fresh 8.1 install

Collin Peters a écrit :
Does anyone have *any* thoughts on this?  This seems to be a fairly
common problem.  Does anybody have any good links that they can
provide to find an answer?

My current test is that I have a table where all the rows were purged,
and then new ones inserted using a specific job.  pgAdmin reports 0
estimated rows and 46 counted rows and therefore displays the popup
saying a vacuum should be run.  I see in the PostgreSQL log that
autovacuum is vacuuming this database regularly.

I don't think so. Your previous message says you see messages like "processing database X", which doesn't mean the database is vacuumed. It just says that the autovacuum process connects to this database and tries to find if a table needs vacuum (according to the parameters). How many rows did you purge in your database ? if it's less than autovacuum_vacuum_threshold, then you're sure your table has not been vacuumed.

Is this simply because pgAdmin has tighter settings and autovacuum
hasn't actually done anything with this table yet?

They don't use the same algorithms.

pgAdmin's algorithm is this one : it shows the hint if estimated rows (reltuples in pg_class) is equal to 1000 or, if he knows the exact number of rows, if the exact number of rows is different from the estimated rows but greater than 20 or another complex calculation.

autovacuum's algorithm use some parameters and some PostgreSQL statistics.

Read http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/runtime-config-autovacuum.html and http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/routine-vacuuming.html#AUTOVACUUM for more details.

Regards.

--
Guillaume.