Search Postgresql Archives

Re: renaming sequences ?

Jonathan Vanasco <postgres@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> I keep running into this bug:
> 	http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2007-09/msg00092.php

> Where "ALTER TABLE/SEQUENCE RENAME TO ____" will rename the sequence,
> but the 'sequence_name' attribute in 'select * from sequence' and (i
> believe) the pg catalog info will keep the original name

> this creates an issue with most ORM software under python, perl, php
> which will pull the old sequence name.

The short answer is that any such software is broken and should be
fixed.  The sequence_name in a sequence is a historical artifact and
can't be relied on, for exactly the reason that it doesn't update
during a rename.  It's more likely that we'd remove the field than
that we'd fix this behavior --- it's not readily fixable because
there's no way to do transactional updates on the fields of a sequence.

			regards, tom lane