Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Money data type - Deprecated?

Thats a good Question is the Money type ever going to die i believe it was deprecated several versions ago?

I use the money type a formatting step in select statements when displaying data on the client only. It saves me setting up input mask and what not on client side.

There are draw backs to using the money type
   dumps/restores can go wrong
many frameworks convert money data type back to numeric or cast it to String type

I would never have and never will use money as a data type in tables as the precision is fixed to 2

Kless wrote:
Does the money data type is deprecated?

That says in 8.2 docs [1]. But I'm not sure why that notice doesn't
appear in the 8.3 docs [2] .

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/datatype-money.html
[2] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-money.html