Search Postgresql Archives

PostgreSQL full text vs. MySQL

Hey all,

I have been a MySQL user for a number of years, but just read about PostgreSQL version 8.3 and was especially intrigued and interested in the full text search implementation using lexemes.

I'm currently doing the specs for a PHP app that will involve up to the millions records to search, and it will need full text capability.

I am wondering if I could get some opinions on PostgreSQL's full text versus MySQL's and specifically I have not been able to find documentation that MySQL supports lexeme type full text, able to locate root words the way PostgreSQL 8.3 does.

Is this the case? I could certainly justify the switch to PostgreSQL if I can make a solid case to the client for doing so.

I realize this is a PostgreSQL list, so let's try to be fair ;)

Thanks!
--
Skip Evans
Big Sky Penguin, LLC