Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pg_standby / WAL archive-restore through system restarts

David Wall a écrit :
[...]
During regular operations, Server A and Server B may independently need to be rebooted or postgresql restarted, etc. Is there any sync-ing between Server A and Server B I have to worry about when doing this? That is, will Server B need to know anything about the fact that the postmaster on Server A going up and down?

Server B doesn't need to know anything.

Will it just run normally, waiting for the restarted Server A to send over new WAL archives?

Yes, it will. Anyways, be careful on the command line options you use with pg_standby.

Can I shutdown Server B simply by killing the postmaster and restart it back in recovery mode to continue re-syncing where it left off? Or does stopping Server B in recovery mode require any manual re-sync steps before it can resume recovery?

I think you'll need to redo the whole process : restore the full data backup, create the recovery.conf file, etc.

If I ever tell Server B to stop recovery (assuming I didn't intend for it to become the new primary), I cannot just resume recovery mode unless I do the full data backup again from Server A and restore on Server B in start in recovery mode. That is, once you tell PG to end recovery, it becomes a primary and no longer can resume recovery mode without redoing the recovery setup steps.

Correct.

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org