Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Custom C function - is palloc broken?

Craig Ringer wrote:
And in the server log files (PG_INSTALL_DIR\data\pg_log) ?

The log files contained no indication of an error, not even an "oops, the server crashed" message.

I'd be interested in confirmation that you're able to get your code working when you build it with VC++ .

I did get the examples.c file to work with VC++ 2008 Professional, so I should be able to get the other functions I need to work.

Tom Lane wrote:
> You need to
> get over this concept of "Postgres is broken" and try to identify a
> specific reason why your DLL builds are not working.

I don't think I ever said Postgres was broken. I said Postgres was crashing. I expressed doubt that Postgres' win32 binary was built with MSVC++... mostly because the website still says it was built with mingw. In any case, I was mostly confused that Postgres would build their stuff with MSVC++ but not provide #ifndef WIN32 (or whatever) blocks around the stuff that can be ignored in windows.

But that's all essentially irrelevant. In the future I will keep my speculation to myself lest I be accused of calling Postgres "broken".

> I'm starting to wonder just how broken the tools you two are using
> must be ...

If by "broken" you mean "a Windows-only compiler excluding unix-only headers from its include directories", then I guess Visual Studio is completely broken. If by "broken" you mean "MinGW apparently can't be used to compile .dlls for use with Postgres", then that is also correct. I don't think either set of tools is actually broken, though.

In any case, I did get the examples compiling with Visual C++ 2008 Professional, and the resulting .dll does work in Postgres. If I run into any other problems I'll be back.

Thanks,
Dan