Search Postgresql Archives

custom C function problem

I'm creating some custom C functions to load dynamically from a dll (this is Postgres 8.3.1 on Windows XP SP2). I have two that work fine, but any time I try to write one that uses a text*, postgres crashes. This is true even for the example functions like "copytext" given in the documentation here:
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/xfunc-c.html

I'm compiling my DLL with MinGW. I do CREATE FUNCTION as described in the documentation, and then I do a "SELECT copytext(colname) FROM tablename" (colname is a text column), at which point Visual Studio's "Something in postgres.exe crashed. Do you want to debug?" dialog pops up. (Of course, I click no and postgres appears to restart itself.)

Again, I have two other functions (neither of which uses a text*), both of which I can successfully load into postgres (from the same dll file as the function that crashes) and use in queries without problems.

Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

- Dan