Search Postgresql Archives

Re: query performance

Tom Lane [tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
I suspect that your FSM settings are too low, causing free space found
by VACUUM to be forgotten about.

I read in another thread that vacuum verbose would tell me how much FSM is needed, but I ran it and didn't see any output about this. What is the way to determine how much FSM is needed (other than wait for hints in the log).

  You might also need to consider
vacuuming more than once a day (there's a tradeoff between how often
you vacuum and how much FSM space you need).

What is the trade-off? Anyway to predict how much more (presumably) FSM is needed if you vacuum more often?

Thanks,
Brian