Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Suggestion for psql command interpretation

At 04:46 AM 4/16/2008, Colin Wetherbee wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
Colin Wetherbee <cww@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I just thought I'd report it here in case it wasn't supposed to happen, but from what you say, it seems like it's a "feature".
Well, it's more of a historical hangover. Personally I'd not have much problem with breaking backward compatibility on this point.

I'm not generally in the habit of making typos, so this doesn't affect me too much.

However, IMHO and as I mentioned previously, I don't think "\timimng" should succeed. I'll leave the rest of the discussion up to you and the other developers, though. :)

I too agree that \timimng should not work.

Maybe someone can think of an undesirable surprise that springs from this "feature" ;).

\i
\e

Are possible candidates (probably others could clobber files given a typo).

I think requiring a space between command and arguments would be a good idea. And not doing stuff if there are syntax errors...

Link.