Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres on shared network drive

J Ottery wrote:
Thanks so much Craig. I have decided to migrate to Postgres and most of my applications are single computer based but I need to plan for future needs. Some research is in order for me.

All you should need to do is allow the user / administrator to configure the connection settings for the application. An initial single user deployment can be done by installing the PostgreSQL server on the same computer as the program(s) that use it and having the application default to connecting to a database on "localhost". If you need to go multi-user, you can either move the postgresql server to a separate server computer and update the application settings to have them all connect to the server computer, or you can just have the additional users connect to the postgresql server on the first person's computer. In either case no changes to the application code should be required; you should only need to change the server hostname setting.

Your application doesn't necessarily have to care where the database server is. If you use something like ODBC then your data source definition specifies where the DB server is, and the app just asks to open the data source. The app won't even be able to tell if the DB server is on the same computer or not.

If you explicitly connect to the DB in your program code then all you need to do is provide a way to change the database connection settings in the application GUI or in a configuration file, so the user can enter the database server hostname, server port, database username, and database password.

--
Craig Ringer