Search Postgresql Archives

Re: slow pgsql tables - need to vacuum?

Douglas McNaught wrote:

> You need to ANALYZE the tables after you load them, and make sure you
> have indexes on the column you're querying (which it sounds like you
> do, but they're not being used because the statistics for the table
> are inaccurate).

I've seen discussion here that made it sound like a REINDEX might also
be required on tables with really high data churn (ie when VACUUM /
VACUUM FULL are run a lot) - if you're not dropping and re-creating the
indexes for better bulk load performance anyway, of course. Am I just
confused, or can this sometimes be necessary?

--
Craig Ringer