Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Schema design question

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008, Andrej Ricnik-Bay wrote:

On 29/03/2008, Ben <bench@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I'm working on a project which requires me to keep track of objects,
 each of which can have an arbitrary number of attributes. Although
 there will be many attributes that an object can have, the data types
 of those attributes won't be all that varried (int, float, text,
 boolean, date, etc.).

And a somewhat unorthodox suggestion for the list ... would it
be worthwhile considering a different storage mechanism all
together, like maybe an LDAP directory type of thing?  The query
language is admittedly very limited.

Hm.... worthwhile for some, perhaps, but not for this project. This is only a small part of a much larger whole, most of which fits quite well into SQL. Thanks though! I think I'm leaning towards the one-table-with-many-columns approach, as it seems to require the simpliest set of constraints while still giving me type-safety.