Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Using tables in other PostGreSQL database

	Scott Marlowe wrote:

>  > Even in Oracle you don't have cross db queries.
>
> On the contrary you do. You can refer to objects in another
database by
> OBJECT_NAME@DBLINK_NAME, very useful to mix local and remote data
in no
>  time. DBLINK_NAME represents a connection to another database.
>  What you don't have is OTHERDB.OBJECT_NAME to refer to a different
> database within the same instance, because there is only one
database
>  in an Oracle instance.

What you are talking about are cross schema references, not cross db.

No I'm definitively referring to cross db, not cross schema.
See this piece from Oracle documentation:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B14117_01/server.101/b10759/sql_elem ents009.htm#i27761

Oracle instances can have > 1 database, it's just not that common.  I
know this because we had an internal instance at the last company I
worked at that had 2 databases in it, each with their own schemas.
Or
maybe they somehow had two instances of oracle running on the same
box.

CREATE DATABASE is to Oracle what initdb is to PG, it's something you do once per instance. So no, an Oracle instance doesn't have >1 databases, just like a PG instance doesn't have >1 data directories.

Regards,

--
Daniel
PostgreSQL-powered mail user agent and storage: http://www.manitou-mail.org