Search Postgresql Archives

Persistent user-defined functions

Hi all,

I am using Ubuntu 7.10 with PostgreSQL 8.2.  I have just finished creating two C functions and have successfully loaded them using "CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION" ... This was an extremely smooth process, and I have a lot of respect for the dev team for creating such a robust system.

Anyway - I would like these new functions to be permanently available to a database, or to all databases.  These functions will ultimately be called from PHP, where there is no guarantee of server state in between requests (maybe a reboot occurs and my functions are lost, etc...).  On the other hand, it is inefficient to "CREATE OR REPLACE" all the time.  Can anybody suggest a lightweight method to keep these functions permanently available, or point me towards a resource that might assist?

Best regards,

Dave.