Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)

Tom Lane napsal(a):
Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
I like this too.  It'd be considerably more work than the currently
proposed patch, though, since we'd have to meld the currently
separate programs into one executable.

I note that we can continue to have the current executables stashed in
PREFIX/share/libexec and let the "pg" executable exec them.

Not share/ surely, since these are executables, but yeah.

This brings me to the idea that "pg" is a very small stupid program
that just tries to match its first argument against a filename in
PREFIX/libexec/postgresql.  If it finds a match it execs that program
with the remaining args, else it fails.  If we do it that way then the
problem of a client-only installation is solved: it merely has a smaller
population of files in PREFIX/libexec, and "pg" doesn't know the
difference.  Also the problem of optionally providing the old names just
reduces to providing links in bin/, whereas with a melded executable
we'd need still more smarts to look at how it'd been invoked.

So +2 or so for this one.

It sounds good. Only one comments libexec is not on Solaris, but PREFIX/lib is allowed to use for this purpose.

		Zdenek