Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Survey: renaming/removing script binaries (createdb, createuser...)

On Mar 26, 2008, at 7:25 AM, Zdeněk Kotala wrote:
Hello All,

I prepared patch for renaming postgreSQL script tools like createdb, createuser, etc. to pg_createdb, pg_creteuser. Original names will be kept for 2 or 3 following versions. The main reason for the patch is to avoid possible clash of names with systems tools.

There are no existing clashes with system tools that I'm aware of. Are there any? Most of the clashes are with other installations of postgresql installed on the same machine, so if name clashes is the real reason for the change, then the version number or port number of the installation should be part of the command name - pg_8.3.1_psql, and so on.

The normal way of dealing with multiple installations and name clashes would be to set your shell path appropriately, though, surely? It's a more normal way of dealing with that than renaming the actual binaries.

If, on the other hand, the main reason behind name changes were to make the naming more intuitive for new users then changing the names to something more appropriate might be useful. Perhaps something like changing "postmaster" to "postgresqld", "pg_ctl" to "safe_postgresqld", change "psql" to "postgresql", replace "createuser -s monty" with "postgresql --user=root", followed by "GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'monty'@'localhost';" and so on.

Cheers,
  Steve

And after long discussion on patches and hackers list we have made a decision than we need input from wide audience. This is a reason why I prepare following surveys.

See:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-03/msg01006.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-07/msg00055.php

Please let us know your meaning,

		thanks Zdenek Kotala

1) What type of names do you prefer?
-------------------------------

a) old notation - createdb, createuser ...
b) new one with pg_ prefix - pg_createdb, pg_creteuser ...
c) new one with pg prefix - pgcreatedb, pgcreateuser ...
d) remove them - psql is the solution
e) remove them - pgadmin is the solution

2) How often do you use these tools?
-----------------------------------

a) every day (e.g. in my cron)
b) one per week
c) one time
d) never

3) What name of initdb do you prefer?
---------- --------------------------

a) initdb
b) pg_initdb
c) pg_init
d) pg_ctl -d <dir> init (replace initdb with pg_ctl new functionality)
e) What is initdb? My start/stop script does it automatically.

4) How do you perform VACUUM?

a) vacuumdb - shell command
b) VACUUM - SQL command
c) autovacuum