Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Replication with read-only access to standby DB

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Jonathan Bond-Caron wrote:

I know very little about postgreSQL internals but it would be great if:
- WAL files could be applied while the standby server is operational / allow
read-only queries

This is the part that requires modifying PostgreSQL, and that progress was made toward by Florian's GSoC project last summer.

- Allow master server to send WAL files to standby servers / * WAL traffic
to be streamed to another server
- Allow master server to send list of all known standby servers
- Allow standby server to check if master server is alive and promote itself
as master (would need to ask / make sure other standby servers do not try
promote themselves at the same time)

These parts you could build right now, except that there's not too much value to more than one standby if you're not using them to execute queries against. People who are using the current warm-standby code are already grappling with issues like how to coordinate master/slave failover (including my second favorite acronym, STONITH for "shoot the other node in the head"). I don't expect handling that sort of thing will ever be integrated into the PostgreSQL database core. What is happening instead is that the appropriate interfaces to allow building higher-level tools are being designed and made available.

(My favorite acronym is TLA)

--
* Greg Smith gsmith@xxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.gregsmith.com Baltimore, MD